10 - PERSONAL PROTECTION EQUIPMENT
1300 722 999
As noise induced hearing loss cannot be cured or restored
it must be prevented from happening. It is important that all
protection provided is to AS/NZS 1270:2002.
Personal hearing protection is usually available in two forms:
earplugs and earmuffs.
Earplugs are usually made of silicone or foam and are
inserted into the ear canal. Plugs are best for people who work
all day in noise and who have to wear other personal protection
equipment such as hard hats, masks or goggles.
Earmuffs completely enclose the ear and are held in place
against the side of the head by a headband. They are designed
to block the sound waves from reaching the inner ear, this
process is called attenuation. The higher the attenuation the
more noise is blocked from reaching the inner ear. As not all
ears are the same it is important to choose a hearing protection
solution that suits the working environment, the comfort of
the worker and promotes user acceptance and wearablility.
Earmuffs are easier to put on and remove so are more suited
to people who are exposed to noise intermittently.
Under AS/NZS 1270:2002, the class system is a simple way
to select a hearing protector appropriate to a noise exposure.
Once the extent of the noise hazard has been established the
correct hearing protection can be applied by using a table
such as that below.
For use in
90 - <95
95 - <100
100 - <105
26 or greater
105 - <110
7KHVH ¿JXUHV DUH EDVHG RQ WKH PD[LPXP H[SRVXUH OLPLW
of 85dB over an 8 hour period.
Care and Use of your Earmuffs:
• For maximum noise reduction ears should be completely
HQFORVHG LQ HDU FXSV ZKHQ ¿WWLQJ HDUPXIIV
• Cushions should be wiped clean at the end of each day.
• Wash cushions and foam liners in warm soapy water at
least once a week.
• Cushions and cups should be checked for hardening and
damage and replaced if necessary.
Howard Leight Mach™ 1 Earmuff: Unit of Measure - Pair
General purpose, over the head earmuff which features:
• Broad ear cushions & spacious cups for all day comfort.
• Dielectric design - no risk when working in high voltage
Mach 1 SLC80 22dB 4 11010421
Howard Leight Leightning
L1 Over-Head Earmuff:
Unit of Measure - Each
The Leightning L1 earmuff features a steel wire construction
and provides high performance and robust durability without
compromising comfort. Leightning works well in extreme
temperatures/humidity and under aggressive chemical
• Air Flow Control™ Technology provides better, consistent
attenuation, especially at low frequencies
• Optimal protection for virtually all noise frequency
• Robust design withstands demanding use, especially
in tough environments
• Snap in ear cushions makes cushion replacement quick
• Padded foam headband delivers long wearing comfort
• Minimal headband pressure on the head
• Telescoping height adjustment for individual setting and
SHUVRQDOLVHG FRPIRUW DQG UHPDLQV ¿[HG GXULQJ XVH
/RZ SUR¿OH FXS
• SLC80 29dB Class 5
L1 Over-Head 29dB 5 1010922